The dismantling and disposal of Costa Concordia is completed

The dismantling and disposal of Costa Concordia is completed

In Italy, dismantling and utilization of the Costa Concordia cruise liner, known for the 2012 catastrophe, when the ship went to the bottom, is finished. This means that the largest sea rescue operation in history has been officially completed.

World News 2992 22 июля, 2017 mtelegraph.com

The consortium responsible for dismantling the legendary liner announced the completion of a large-scale ship recycling project this month. Note that the recycling lasted three years. The consortium, commonly known as the "Ship Recycling Consortium", includes the Italian company Saipem, which owns 51% of the shares, and San Giorgio del Porto, which owns the remaining 49%.

The passenger ship Costa Concordia ran aground near the coast of the Italian island of Guillot on January 13, 2012 due to the fact that the liner came very close to the shore. The cruise liner lay on the side along the cliff next to the main port of a small island. Rescue operation stretched for two years. In the summer of 2014 the liner was towed to Genoa for further utilization and dismantling.

The consortium said that in the process of dismantling and recycling, about 53,000 tons of materials were processed. Almost 400 employees worked around the clock to ensure that the ship was dismantled in the safest way for the environment.

Francesco Schettino, captain of the Costa Concordia, was sentenced to 16 years' imprisonment by the court for his participation in the shipwreck, which claimed the lives of 32 people. The prison term of the ex-captain began in May 2016.

Read also



CV Sending seafarers Login Reviews